Ebola Cases 'Have Halved' In DR Congo

DRC Ebola centre attacks could force retreat against disease

Paul Allen’s foundation opens challenge to combat Ebola outbreak in Congo

The Health Ministry affirmed 867 out of 932 hemorrhagic fever cases to have turned out to be Ebola, a tropical fever.

Three weeks ago, treatment centers in Katwa and Butembo were attacked, and the facility in Butembo was attacked again last week while the World Health Organization chief was visiting the region.

"We have averted a much larger outbreak", World Health Organization chief Tedros Ghebreyesus Adhanom told a news conference, adding that the affected area was contained and shrinking within a certain geographic area.

He said the WHO would not leave when the outbreak ended, but would help the government to build stronger health services.

Witness in Berlusconi's bunga-bunga trial 'poisoned'
It said it provided the results of her toxicological exams to prosecutors when they were completed on March 6. FILE - In this Monday, Oct. 3, 2011 file photo, Imane Fadil smiles as she leaves the court in Milan, Italy.

Last week the head of medical charity MSF, which had two facilities attacked, said the battle against Ebola was being lost because ordinary people did not trust health workers and the response was overly militarised.

The number of new cases has halved to 25 per week since January, and the virus was now concentrated in Butembo and Katwa. That means the vigorous efforts to track the contacts of the sick are not entirely successful.

It added that 65 people were pronounced dead after suffering from hemorrhagic fever and are yet to be known whether they suffered from Ebola since no autopsy took place.

"It has not spread to other parts of the country, and it has not spread to neighboring countries". The bodies of victims are highly contagious, and the aid group said that figure shows community mistrust is still widespread.

Bangladesh cricket team forced to flee Christchurch Mosque after shooting incident
Members of the Bangladesh cricket team expressed their gratitude Friday at escaping a mass shooting in New Zealand . They stayed in the bus for eight to 10 minutes before leaving it after sensing danger, according to Mashud.

It is the tenth outbreak in the country since the virus was discovered there in 1976 near the Ebola River.

"You can not say it's failing when the outbreak is contracting", he added. In the latest attack, one person was killed and another wounded on Thursday in an attack on an Ebola health center, according to Richard Nyembo, a local administrator for Lubero province.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a news conference after an Emergency Committee meeting on the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, August 14, 2018. At least 584 people have died among the 927 confirmed and probable cases in this outbreak.

SC Sets Aside Life Ban on Sreesanth, Asks BCCI to Reconsider Punishment
The court asked the cricket board to consider a fresh punishment for the former India pacer within the next three months. The two-judge division bench had ruled that the BCCI ban could not be overturned or reduced.

Latest News