Ontario Banning Cellphones In Classrooms Starting In 2019-20 School Year

Ontario to ban cellphones from classrooms

Ontario to ban cellphones in classrooms

Education consultation surveys from a year ago suggested that approximately 97 percent of respondents supported some form of restriction on phones in class, according to the government sources.

The Canadian Press has learned that Ontario is set to announce this week that cellphones will be banned in classrooms, starting in the next school year.

"Obviously for emergency purposes, for medical purposes and for specific courses that require technological platforms - they'd be permissible", Progressive Conservative MPP Stephen Lecce told CTV News Toronto.

The Toronto District School Board used to have a cellphone ban, but reversed it after four years to let teachers dictate what works best for their classrooms, the article said. How the ban will be enforced will remain under the jurisdiction of individual educational boards and schools. "It's making sure that you create a culture where we know where the boundaries are".

Vikings running back Latavius Murray to sign with Saints
Baltimore was reportedly pursuing Steelers free agent Le'Veon Bell, but never made a formal offer to him. The only two teams whose running backs totaled more than 387 carries were the Seahawks and the Patriots.

"Ontario's students need to be able to focus on their learning - not their cellphones", Education Minister Lisa Thompson said in a statement released early Tuesday.

"By banning cellphone use that distracts from learning, we are helping students to focus on acquiring the foundational skills they need like reading, writing and math", she said.

"Minister Eggen trusts Alberta's teachers and school boards to make their own rules regarding the use of cellphones in their classrooms", he said Tuesday.

"We think that teachers have a handle on their classrooms already", Arthur said. "During this consultation we heard that 97 per cent of respondents support some form of a ban on cellphones".

Save the World and Go Viral With New #Trashtag Challenge
Thankfully, this one is not asking anyone to do anything unsafe or stupid, like last year's Bird Box Challenge . The idea soon spread, with some social media users incorporating "trashtag" into their weekend trips.

Ministry of education officials, speaking on background, said students wouldn't be expected to lock up their phones and while enforcement will be hard, it will be left up to school boards. "It's about recognizing that a school is a learning environment".

The board previously admitted that enforcing a complete ban was almost impossible, and indicated that limiting the use of technology in the classroom would consequently restrict educational opportunities.

"We use technology quite effectively in our classrooms as much as we possibly can".

Mediated Reality founder Jesse Miller says that teachers are cognizant of the students that have their devices and that there needs to be a balance in terms of use. These improvements were mostly demonstrated among the students who were typically "low achieving".

California Gov. Gavin Newsom To Halt Executions
Ellen Kreitzberg, a death penalty expert and opponent at Santa Clara University law school in California, welcomed Newsom's move. This comes on the heels of Californians actually voting to bolster the speed with which the state can execute an inmate.

Latest News