Student dies from leftover pasta

The student, from Belgium, reheated spaghetti that had been prepared five days prior and left in the kitchen at room temperature, according to a case study in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

The man, known only as AJ, became violently ill and went to bed to try and sleep it off. "The next morning at 11:00 a.m., his parents were anxious because he did not get up". He attributed the odd taste to the new tomato sauce he put on his spaghetti, ate it all and headed out to play sports.

Within 30 minutes of eating the pasta, he was experiencing intense abdominal pain, nausea, and a headache.

After hours of sickness, the student was treated to the symptoms as regular food poisoning, by keeping hydrated and trying to sleep it off.

An autopsy later revealed he'd died suddenly from food poisoning caused by a bacteria called bacillus cereus. His parents, however, found him dead in the house 11 hours later, the Sun reported.

US, Taliban agree to end 17-year Afghanistan conflict
The US embassy in Kabul has not yet confirmed the reports on the draft agreement and the envoy's visit to Afghanistan's capital. President Donald Trump has been considering cutting in half the 14,000 U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

It was found to have toxins so potent it's believed they caused AJ's liver to fail.

A video featuring the case was shared on YouTube earlier in January and has shocked several users.

In a YouTube clip viewed over 1.8 million times, Dr. Bernard, who identifies himself as a licensed provider trained and based in the US, explained that the spoiled pasta had shut down A.J.'s liver. He would boil pasta and then put it into Tupperware containers to be eaten during the week after adding a sauce and reheating it, according to Dr Bernard.

The National Reference Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreaks confirmed the spaghetti was contaminated with "significant amounts" of the B.cereus, although there was none in the sauce.

He adds AJ's case is a "tragic one" and there have been many cases of people eating pasta or leftover noodles but ending up fine.

Extreme cold warning returns
After a wild weekend with freezing rain, snow and up to 80 km/h wind gusts in the city, arctic air dropped in to start the week. Snowfall accumulations of 10 to 20 cm are possible in the most persistent snow bands by this evening.

But Bernard says it's best to avoid eating food which "smells funny" and that "it's always better to be safe than sorry".

Commentators online did not show much sympathy for the student.

"Typically, food poisoning just causes stomach inflammation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, it doesn't typically cause acute liver failure, and even worse, we can't find out which bacteria is causing the problem because culturing it would take days - days [the student] doesn't have because his liver is quickly shutting down", Bernard said.

"That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later", one person wrote on Reddit.

Anthony Davis tells Pelicans to trade him to contender
They entered Monday 13th in the Western Conference standings, six games out of the final playoff spot with 32 games remaining. If he wants Davis by his side, or if Davis wants to end up in Los Angeles, the Lakers will do whatever it takes to get him.

Latest News